Re: More benchmark bullshit, and Linux luser mating calls... (was Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Anthony Ord <nws_at_rollingthunder.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:20:45 GMT

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:25:59 GMT, r.e.ballard_at_usa.net wrote:

>In article <ePPy407j#GA.51_at_cpmsnbbsa03>,
> "Joshua Schaeffer" <electric_ninja_at_email.msn.com> wrote:
>> >Oh, linux has _plenty_ of flaws, just fewer than WindowsNT for example.
>>
>> Would you care to elaborate? And be specific.
>
>One big one. Linux does not come with a version of Motif

I thought it did, you just had to pay for it. How is NetscapeN compiled on Linux if Motif isn't available on Linux?

>or a GPL equivilant
>capable of running shared library model Netscape Communicator.

If the problem is that there are things that are used by Linux that aren't free, then most other operating systems are in *deep* trouble.

Regards

Anthony

<snip>

| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |