Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Anthony Ord <nws_at_rollingthunder.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:38:44 GMT

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:16:44 GMT, r.e.ballard_at_usa.net wrote:

>In article <7fnh52$q4v$1_at_nnrp02.primenet.com>,
> Stephen Edwards <ja207030_at_primenet.com> wrote:
>> Bill Chess <chess_at_la.com> wrote:
>>
>> : Here's the story:
>> : http://rpmfind.net/veillard/oracle/
<snip>
>> The test is completely bogus. But I'm not suprised in the slightest.
>>
>> "No specific operating system tuning was done, all the default NT services
>> were running, with the default priorities and system parameters."
>
>Yes, I got a chuckle out of that too. Most UNIX systems by definition have
>to run certain defauld processes to function effectively. On NT, a database
>must run on a system that has been "stripped to the wheels". Again this is
>due to the context switching characteristics. If the NT system has do do
>it's own DNS lookups for it's clients, you now have two context switches per
>connection. Then you have additional overhead that is not part of the "pure"
>benchmark tests.
>
>Unfortunately, the tests didn't make it to Germany, where such "conspiracy of
>silence" is considered a form of fraud. There are many interesting benchmarks
>available to compare Linux and NT. If you can read German, the results are
>startling.

Have you any URLs for this? I don't speak German, but my friend Babelfish does...

>> Oh no... not biased in the slightest.</SARCASM>
>
>Actually, it's amusing to see how many tweaks Microsoft has to do to get a
>good benchmarke out of NT. Even then, it's interesting to see the costs of
>the systems. When the include the costs of the Client Access licenses, the
>prices are amazing.
>
>> [] "No footnote for you!" -- Footnote Nazi
>> --
>> .-----.
>> |[_] :| Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
>> | = :| "But something's wrong. It takes me a moment to pin it down;
>> |_..._| there's a 15' raster gun in a dirty plastic case." -- Ben in ASR

Regards

Anthony

| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |