Re: More benchmark bullshit, and Linux luser mating calls... (was Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Anthony Ord <nws_at_rollingthunder.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:33:44 GMT

On 26 Apr 1999 11:45:06 -0600, Craig Kelley <ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu> wrote:

>> >Would you care to elaborate? And be specific.
>>
>> I can at least state that Linux has a nasty flaw -- but it's mostly
>> an internal one, and may not have much applicability (it is a big
>> C program, after all).
>>
>> It uses pointers in its structures. Naughty naughty! :-)
>>
>> (I've been corrupted by a famous person who gives out C++ lectures around
>> here whose name completely escapes me at the moment (grr) --
>> "Pointers are bad". Mind you, it's not clear whether we want
>> to have C++ and STL [*] in the Linux kernel... :-) )
>
>How can pointers in structures be naughty?

Can someone point out how to do linked lists and binary trees without them?

Regards

Anthony

| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |