Re: More benchmark bullshit, and Linux luser mating calls... (was Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Jim Richardson <warlock_at_eskimo.com>
Date: 24 Apr 1999 16:17:00 GMT

On 24 Apr 1999 02:35:18 GMT,
 Stephen Edwards, in the persona of <ja207030_at_primenet.com>,  brought forth the following words...:

>Steve Mading <madings_at_baladi.nmrfam.wisc.edu> wrote:
>: Stephen Edwards (ja207030_at_primenet.com) wrote:
>
>: : : You might have even had some good factual points to make, but they
>: : : are hidden inside your insulting demenor, so they are hard to see.
>
>: : Why should I bother? I've tried dozens of times to make rational,
>: : non-biased statements, only to be met by Linux-user-rabidity. Frankly, I
>: : can understand why Boris has the attitude he has towards Linux users... if
>: : they aren't going to listen to reason, why should I make an effort to
>: : cluify them?
>
>: You are predjudiced. Extrapolating some linux advocates' behaviour onto
>
>Against OS-Nazis?... Damn straight I am! And many Linux users are taking
>up the slack for the Macintosh-Nazis quite well lately, I might add. Come
>on Steve... I _KNOW_ what sort of stuff goes through the zealots' minds...
>I used to _BE_ a Linux zealot... before that, I was an Amiga zealot...
>zealots don't care about facts... they only care about taking arguments to
>such any extreme to ensure that they don't lose face.

since you seem to have a zealotry trend here, are you currently a zealot? :)

>: the whole lot is no different than extracting some black people's
>: behaviour onto the whole lot, and it's wrong for all the same reasons.
>
>Well, your point is well taken, but I still get very sick and tired of all
>of the bullshit that seems to be coming out of c.o.l.a. lately. Why is
>there so much hatred of Microsoft... it's just a damned software company,
>for Christ's sake! And I for one get weary of people thinking that using
>a UNIX variant makes them "smarter". Would you deny that a seemingly vast
>majority of Linux users carry this attitude these days? It didn't used
>to be like this just 4 short years ago. How many "Windows-friendly"
>Linux web sites have you seen? I've seen _ZERO_.

We (as linux users) are constantly being bombarded with the message that "Linux isn't for the newbies, it's for the geeks, the pocket protector crowd, most people won't be able to learn linux."  It's false of course, but here you are, complaining that linuxites think that they're smarter than M$ers... ironic, ain't it. :)

>Everywhere I look it's "Microsoft sucks", or "Bill Gates is evil". Don't
>these people ever get tired of this crap?
>
>: In general, when you receive nothing but flak, there is a reason.
>
>Most of the time, Steve, that flak is the result of others not wanting to
>hear the facts, or possible facts thereof. I never evangelize WindowsNT
>as "perfect". I know it has problems. All software does. What separates
>the intellects from the losers is understanding that _NO_ OS is perfect.
>These days, it seems that very few Linux users can accept that fact that
>Linux has its flaws too.

Oh, linux has _plenty_ of flaws, just fewer than WindowsNT for example.

<snip>

--
Jim Richardson
	www.eskimo.com/~warlock