Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: <bmeyer_at_bruce.cs.monash.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:46:03 GMT

Jerry <jerrys121DELETE_THIS_BIT_at_hotmail.com> writes:

>Seems to me that the test is/was completely valid and both NT & Linux
>have been shown in their true colours. The only worthwhile reading in
>your post is "I'm not suprised in the slightest".....

While I agree that the test is completely valid (i.e. fair) --- with the possible exception of the JDBC driver issue, which I don't know enough about to judge --- I think the crux of the matter is that this test isn't particularly _interesting_.

Look at their systems. 128M of memory. For a database server. I mean, come on! My MP3 player has that much memory!

And then look at the database sizes they used (and thus, the query sizes): 0.1GB and 0.01GB. Compare that to what TPC-D was meant to be used with (100 to 1000GB). Their databases are too small by a factor of 10000......

Bernie

"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
    	                                   ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995