Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Jerry <jerrys121DELETE_THIS_BIT_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:54:34 -0100

Stephen Edwards wrote:

> Bill Chess <chess_at_la.com> wrote:
>
> : Here's the story:
> : http://rpmfind.net/veillard/oracle/
>
> Hmmm... obviously a "Linux" site.
>
> : It's sponsored by more than one company (unlike the Mindcraft study),
> : but I have to wonder if maybe Oracle deliberately cripples their NT
> : version somehow.
>
> The test is completely bogus. But I'm not suprised in the slightest.
>
> "No specific operating system tuning was done, all the default NT services
> were running, with the default priorities and system parameters."
>
> Oh no... not biased in the slightest.</SARCASM>

Oh yes you are......why did'nt you quote:

"The reader will have to keep in mind that no operating system tuning was done neither on the NT server nor on the Linux server; the two systems were running as they were after a standard installation."

and....

"This experiement has been done without any involvement from neither Oracle nor TPC"

and, of the Linux setup.....

"No specific operating system tuning was done (all the standard Unix services were running)."

Seems to me that the test is/was completely valid and both NT & Linux have been shown in their true colours. The only worthwhile reading in your post is "I'm not suprised in the slightest".....

Linux shows a 25x improvement on NT in several tests - how sad for NT.... bet MS don't quote this one....