Re: Which DB/Software suite combo is best for Web<->DB implementation

From: TechMan <hotquery_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1999/04/14

Maybe I can share some experience with all. Some is good and some is very bad

I agree that never think about Informix Web datablade. One of my project failed and I need to switch back to MS ASP. Why? When their Business Development manager showed us Web DB and a package called Content Management Solution.(now they change name to I.Reach). It looks good. They also show me a lot of reference sites. What is the real? Informix Web datablade does not have following in their tag language: 1. For-Next loop or any Do While 2. No data cursor. That is, you can not write code to loop parent table and read the child record. It is fatal problem. 3. No HTTP session variable, it forces us to use cookies instead. However cookie is not often work in all browser.

When we know this problem. We are crucial why other reference site can do that. Next we investigate them. We found that most of them are static page (check by view source) or only has a few simple Web datablade page. That is joke, one of them is ASP site.

It made a very bad image in our team. Later on, I remember a word " Listen to peope who work, Don't trust people who talk"

Remember this.

I also has experience with other database Web connectivity since we are WEB to DB consultant. Lets be open and discuss.

Hotquery
OCP/ICP/MCP

--
All post are personal idea only :-}