Re: Blob?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/04/06

A copy of this was sent to Bret <bret.hill_at_hawksystems.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 06 Apr 1999 13:51:48 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello. This is probably a question that can be found in the manual, but
>our copy of Oracle is on order and I do not yet have the manuals.
>I need to store up to 256K of text data into a database field. MS SQL
>Server and Sybase have a 'text' and an 'image' datatype for storing
>large amounts of data into a field - is the 'blob' datatype similar to
>this in Oracle? What datatypes are there for large fields like this?
>Is there a place on the web where I can read more about Oracle
>datatypes?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bret Hill
>bret.hill_at_tstnet.com

In 7.x there are the types LONG (upto 2gig text) and LONG RAW (upto 2 gig raw data).

In 8.x there are the much improved types CLOB (upto 4gig text) and BLOB (upto 4 gig raw).

You can read about the datatypes (and the database in general) by getting the server concepts manual. If you sign up on http://technet.oracle.com/ (its free), you can get access to the documentation.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries