Re: Oracle 8 installation

From: Mario Zgela <mario_at_hnb.hr>
Date: 29 Mar 1999 13:12:44 GMT

Hi!

Sam Nath <nath_at_gti.net> wrote in article <36FE7DBC.F03911A8_at_gti.net>...
> I need to install Oracle 8 database. Currently I have Oracle7.3. The
> platform is NT4. Do I need to know anything special about it. Am I
> going to loose any existing data?

If you export data from O7.3, importing in O8 should not be a problem.

> If I develop any database apps on
> Oracle, would it run on Oracle7.3 as well? Any help will be appreciable.

The answer is Yes, if you don't use some new capabilities of O8 such as object types,
deffered constraints, instead of triggers etc.

If you create dbase application in O7.3, and move it to O8 it works perfectly.
Additionally, you can stay at the same client platform (e.g. Developer 1.3.2) and SQL*Net.

Of course, that's my story, maybe somebody else had some difficulties.

Mario Received on Mon Mar 29 1999 - 15:12:44 CEST

Original text of this message