Re: Oracle 7.3 and Foxbase

From: Shawn Ramsey <srams_at_nospamexcell.com>
Date: 1999/03/25

I would not use Visual Foxpro for the migration. You are best off creating a delimited file and using SQL*Loader.

Why? Because Visual Foxpro will generate an INSERT INTO <TableName> COLUMNS (<ColumnList>) VALUES (<Values>) statement and a commit for every single row. This chews up the SGA memory and the performance is extremely poor. Updates seem to be even worse. Visual Foxpro is a good tool for OLTP programs, but is definitly not the way to go when it comes to large inserts or updates. Do it this way and the DBAs will not be too happy with you.

Shawn