Re: Reinstalling Oracle

From: Duc Truong <dtruong_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1999/03/16

Van Messner wrote:

> You may have done something not reversible. Who can say. But first check
> that your Oracle services exist and are started.
>
> Van
>
> leroyg_at_earthlink.net wrote in message <7cbsgf$v0o$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >Can someone explain, or direct me to an FAQ or piece of Oracle
 documentation
> >that explains, how to reinstall Oracle products if you feel something has
 gone
> >wrong?
> >
> >I have installed Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition on Windows NT Workstation 4.0,
> >along with Developer/2000 2.1 and Designer/2000 2.1.1, but after trying to
> >set up the Designer repository, I was unable to shut down the database
 using
> >svrmgr30, and now I can't connect to the database. I get the error
 ORA-01034
> >ORACLE Unavailable. It has gone from bad to worse, and I am afraid I have
> >done something irreversible. I cannot log in to Server Manager as INTERNAL,
> >SYS, or SYSTEM, and I get the ORA-01034 error in all my products, from
> >Designer to Instance Manager to SQL*Plus. I want to clear this up ASAP so I
> >can begin learning to use Designer to model a new system. I am willing to
> >resintall if it does not mean reinstalling NT as well. Does anyone
 recognize
> >these symptoms and what can be done about them?
> >
> >All I want is a clean, desktop developer installation that I can use to
 work
> >with SQL, PL/SQL, Designer, and Developer. I don't need anything fancy in
> >terms of networking or extras beyond the Object capability. How can I
 achieve
> >this setup?
> >
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Leroy
> >
> >/*
> >*/
> >
> >Leroy Gonzalez
> >leroyg_at_earthlink.net

> >http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

Hi,

This is want Oracle error ORA-1034 meant.

Oracle was not started up. Possible causes include the following:

  • The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.
  • The operating-system variable pointing to the instance is improperly defined.

What I would do first is "stop" and "start" Oracle services from the "control panel".
Then try to connect internal again. But before you go to svrmgr30 you must set the ORACLE SID.

Hope this help

example from dos:

c:\>set ORACLE_SID <SID>
svrmgr30
connect internal Received on Tue Mar 16 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message