Re: How to use MS ODBC drivers for Oracle

From: Allan Kelly <ac_kelly_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 1999/03/14

Imran,

    Let me help you clear the confusion.

First, the Microsoft ODBC drivers for Oracle will not work with Oracle Version 8.0.4. You need to install the Oracle ODBC Drivers from the Oracle8 installation CD.

Second, go into Windows NT Control Panel and open ODBC Administration and verify that the driver (Oracle ODBC Driver, Version 8.00.0400) is listed under the "Drivers" tab.

Third, configure a System DSN to connect to the database.

I have a local Oracle 8.0.4 database running on my Windows NT Server 4.0 machine and I configured the TNSNAMES.ORA for a "named pipes" connection called NT_Pipe.world. You can do the same for a TCP/IP, IPX, etc. connection to a remote machine. Anyway, to configure the Oracle8 ODBC driver enter the EXACT connect name in the ODBC->Configure->Service Name, i.e. in my case NT_Pipe.world. Then enter the UserID (I use SYS since I'm administering the database). All that's left is to enter a data source name and description (optional).

Your clients must have the SQL*Net drivers and Oracle ODBC drivers installed. as well as a properly configured TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA. Hope this helps.

Allan Kelly