Oracle 10.7 Character Mode on HPUX 10.20 Memory Issue

From: M. D. Parker <mdpc_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1999/03/08

I manage the UNIX system at one of my client sites. About 6 months ago, this site did an upgrade from 10.5 character mode to 10.7 character mode. This location IS intending to go to 11.x client/server mode in the medium term.

Anyway, the system is running on a K400 (100MHz) box with 1G memory. Seems that with 24 concurrent managers, 1 archiver, and 18 of its "overhead" processes AND 164 other most likely user processes: it is running out of memory. I have been asked to investigate this further, but am not an Oracle guru in fact not very familiar with Oracle.

I have seen the RSS sizes of "aiap" processes vary from 2000 memory blocks to over 10000. My understanding is that this process is just the character mode user interface to a corresponding
"oracleSID" process. Is this what "aiap" do? Should the memory
requirements be varying this much between processes running
"aiap"?

In terms of memory used on an HP K-class server, do you think that this is overly high or just about right. An upgrade in hardware is being planned as well and this information would be very helpful.

Thanks for any and all help, insights, and I can only hope for fixes.

Mike Received on Mon Mar 08 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message