Personal Oracle 8 Explorer

From: blosee_at_uswest.net <Brian>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:55:21 GMT

Hello,

I've just begun my study of Oracle8 using a book called "Personal Oracle8 Explorer", by Richard Fieldhouse and published by Coriolis. I'm having a problem I hope someone else here has run into.

I am in Chapter 3 (Creating your first database) and attempting to enter data into the Order_Details table. The first record enters fine, however when I try to commit the second record to the database I receive an Oracle8 Navigator error dialog which reads "ORA-00001: unique constraint (DEMO.SYS_C00772) violated" with only an OK button.

The design of the table is exactly as specified in the book. I have tried creating it manually and also with the table wizard, to no avail. I had no problems with data entry into any of the other tables. The problem seems related to the Order_id field, but I don't understand why because the field is not unique. If anyone else has run into the same problem I would very much appreciate any suggestions you might have.

I am using Oracle Navigator Version 8.0.4.0.0 on Windows NT Workstation 4.0.

Thank You Very Much.
Brian Losee
blosee_at_uswest.net Received on Mon Mar 08 1999 - 23:55:21 CET

Original text of this message