Re: Oracle8 Vs SQL7

From: Joel Sloan <jjs_at_c-me.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:08:12 GMT

Shagun Tyagi wrote:

> Hi,
> We are debating to change our current system configuration ( digital unix
> 4.0 / oracle 8.0 ) to a windows nt based system on SQL 7.0 in a 24x7 shop.

This is a joke, right? Digital Unix is a bit expensive, but you could keep Unix-like reliability and performance while saving a lot of money by moving to Oracle on Linux. The move would also be a lot less painful than the cold turkey approach you describe. Do you really want to be stuck in the pc ghetto permanently?

If you want 24x7, nt is a really bad idea. Trust me, it may seem really nifty after reading a microsoft brochure, but the blue screens, reboots and reinstalls will eventually take their toll.

> Can somebody tell me where I could find articles / reviews about performance
> and stability issues
> of SQL 7.0. A comparison between oracle8 and sql7 would be just perfect. Is
> anyone aware of such articles , reviews, web sites or any other source
> that'll help us make this decision?

Oracle is offering a huge reward for anyone that can show that ms sql server is not at least 100 times slower than oracle, no holds barred. AFAIK, no one has been able to claim the reward yet.

jjs Received on Sun Feb 28 1999 - 22:08:12 CET

Original text of this message