Re: Question : Can I use jdk1.2 for Oracle 8i

From: Cris J. Holdorph <holdorph_at_cx999297-a.chnd1.az.home.com>
Date: 1999/02/26

In comp.lang.java.databases Blake Stewart <bstewart_at_texas.net> wrote:
: I too am able to use 1.2 and access an Oracle 8 server, I'm not sure what
: the other poster meant by not having the Oracle classes in your classpath
: (does that mean not having classes111.zip in the classpath?). I made no
: changes to my code when I moved from 1.1.7 to 1.2, I still have
: classes111.zip in my classpath, and my app runs fine. If you need some
: example code, let me know, I have a simple JDBC app that I can post.

I meant that if your code relies on compiling against the oracle classes it probably won't work. An *easy* way to verify this, is to try to compile your code without the 'classes111.zip' in your classpath. If you keep the classes111.zip in your classpath, then you're less likely to know (without reading every line of your code) if you SPECIFCALLY use the oracle classes anywhere. (An example is if you use "OracleCallableStatement" instead of the java.sql.CallableStatement, your code will NOT compile under jdk 1.2)

  • Cris J H
--
Cris J. Holdorph
holdorph_at_home.com