Row level locking

From: perto <alberto.pertotti_at_NOSPAM.elsag.it>
Date: 1999/02/24

Hi,
I'm new to MS SS7.0 and I can't make him work. Somebody knows how to perform two update statement on the same table?

I start two different sessions:
Session 1:
begin tran
update table set status = 'X' where field = 1

Session 2:
begin tran

update table set status = 'Y' where field = 2

Session 2 remains blocked by Session 1. Why? The two update statement works on different rows. SS7.0 has the row level locking feature, why an update on a row can block an update on another row?

I found a workaround for the problem: everything works OK only when "field" is primary key, but this is a very bad limitation.

Thanks,
Alberto Pertotti Received on Wed Feb 24 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message