Re: Question : Can I use jdk1.2 for Oracle 8i

From: Cris J. Holdorph <holdorph_at_cx999297-a.chnd1.az.home.com>
Date: 1999/02/24

If you can compile your code without having the Oracle JDBC classes in your classpath (note I said compile NOT run) then you have a chance. I (and many others) have run Java 2 applications that access Oracle databases using the Oracle 8.0.x JDBC drivers. One of the keys is using nothing but Pure JDBC 1.x classes/methods. If you use any JDBC 2.x or Oracle specific methods/classes, your code will probably not work. e.g., You can not use OracleTypes.Cursor, or OracleCallableStatement. Because you can not compile with the Oracle classes, because the classes don't even match the JDBC 2.x interface signatures (let alone support JDBC 2.x).

YMMV, but I definitely was accessing Oracle databases with Java 2, with Oracle JDBC drivers, but I was also NOT able to get some things working with it.

  • Cris J H

In comp.lang.java.databases Chris.M.Hawkins_at_HealthPartners.com wrote: : Ed,

: You, me, and everybody else working with Java and Oracle are waiting patiently
: for a new JDBC Type 4 driver for Oracle that works with JDK 1.2.  I expected
: some kind of news weeks ago, but have heard nothing.

: To answer your question: No I don't think you can use the current Oracle JDBC : drivers in JDK 1.2. At least I couldn't make it work.

: I suspect this is due to something Oracle has done and not true of JDBC : drivers generally. I would expect most JDBC drivers to work with JDK 1.2.

: Chris Hawkins
: HealthPartners

: In article <36D07054.790225B7_at_kideys.com>,
:   "E. Kideys" <ed_at_kideys.com> wrote:

:> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
:> --------------7D2DEE8551A83604AA0D1795
:>
:> Hi everyone,
:>
:> We currenly use Oracle 8.0.5 Enterprise. We have been using PL/SQL and
:> embedded SQL in our C++ ODBC code up till now. We would like to make
:> the transition to Java and JDBC, especially after reviewing the features
:> of Oracle 8i.
:>
:> I downloaded jdk1.2 first and then when the Oracle documentation only
:> mentioned jdk1.1, I downloaded jdk1.1.7. I had trouble locating any
:> information in the Oracle documentation or at their website on whether
:> it is safe to develop Oracle jdbc applications with jdk1.2.
:>
:> Even the docs for SQLJ, which is the new paradigm for writing stored
:> procdures and embedded SQL in Java, mentions only jdk1.1. Not one word
:> about jdk1.2.
:>
:> Is it safe to write JDBC or SQLJ for Oracle using jdk1.2?? Thanks in
:> advance.
:>
:> Sincerely,
:> --
:>
:> Ed A. Kideys
:>
:> Kideys Inc.
:> One Main Street, Suite 301
:> Eatontown, NJ 07724-3450
:>
:> www.kideys.com
:> ed_at_kideys.com
:>
:> Phone : 732 460 9510
:> Fax : 732 247 0180
:> --------------7D2DEE8551A83604AA0D1795
:>
:> begin: vcard
:> fn: Ed Kideys
:> n: Kideys;Ed
:> org: Kideys Inc.
:> adr: One Main Street;;Suite 301;Eatontown;NJ;07724-3450;USA
:> email;internet: ed_at_kideys.com
:> title: President
:> tel;work: 732 460 9510
:> tel;fax: 732 247 0180