The calling of stored procedures from PL/SQL by their names

From: Alexander Miroshnikov <alexander.miroshnikov_at_ntli.net>
Date: 1999/02/19

Dear Sir,

The project used to have two databases interacting with each other in the ORACLE's distributed environment. One database called a stored procedure from another database. During the evolution of the project it turned out that it was necessary to call stored procedures with a standardised interface (let's call them "callback procedures") from the PL/SQL code dynamically by their names. As a temporary solution I used a package stub procedure (the procedure implemented in the package). The stub procedure receives the name and parameters of the calling procedure and invokes it using internal nested "IF-THEN-ELSIF" statements. When a new "callback procedure" is introduced, the package body with the stub procedure is recompiled. Thus the part of the project that required recompiling is localised.

But I am unsatisfied by this part of the project. I'd be very grateful if somebody could answer me one question: are there any tricks which allow the calling of stored procedures with a standardised interface from PL/SQL by their names dynamically without recompiling of the code?

Thank you,

Alexander

ORACLE 7.3.1 Received on Fri Feb 19 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message