Re: if I have all database files but no password?

From: XU <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 1999/02/19

Interesting question... I think, if you have all OS privs, then you may create a new password file (using orapwd), which contains the sys and internal password. Modify the pfile (such as "iniORCL.ora") so that the database will start-up using a password file. Login to svrmgrl as sys or internal, you can do "alter user xxxx identified by xxxx" to change any user's password (including user "system"). You don't need to create any database or do any import/export.

The point here is, database users' (including system's) passwords are stored in the database, but sys/internal's password is controlled by an external password file, which relies on the OS level file security. An OS system admin is always capable of knock-out an old password file and create a new one, and then it will gain access to any user's schema.

Xuequn XU

vagelis Hristidis (exrist_at_cc.ece.ntua.gr) wrote:
: was wondering(fortunately I am not in such a situation) if there is a way
: to use a database when you have forgotten all passwords, but you have all
: current
: database files and all operating system privileges.I mean if you can create
: a new database and then "import" all datafiles and controlfiles in the new
: database.
: Please mail to me for any ideas on the subject.

: Vagelis S. Hristidis
: Electrical and Computer Engineering
: National Technical University of Athens
: e-mail:exrist_at_cc.ece.ntua.gr
: URL:http://www.cc.ece.ntua.gr/~exrist