Re: two Different DB

From: Neil May <amay_at_home.com>
Date: 1999/02/11

Hi,

Robert Liziniewicz wrote:

> Diego wrote:
>
> > Hi!!
> >
> > I'm very new in this world.
> > I'd need to Install Oracle 8 and Oracle 7.3.4 in the same Solaris. Could anybody tell me which is the better way to do that??
>
> The only way to do this is to install it in two
> different homes ( this means for example two different OS users)

Rubbish! You can install as many copies of oracle software as you like under the one unix user. Just make sure the ORACLE_HOME environment variable is different. Best way to set it is add the ORACLE_HOME and sid to oratab (in /var/opt/oracle on solaris), then use the oraenv utility to set the environment viz:

ORAENV_ASK=NO ; export ORAENV_ASK
ORACLE_SID=xyz ; export ORACLE_SID
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH ; export PATH
. oraenv
ORAENV_ASK=YES ; export ORAENV_ASK

This is the correct way to setup your oracle envt. Make sure the oracle script oraenv and program dbhome are in /usr/local/bin.

> > Also I'd like to know if both DB can be opened at the same time and > >if I have to do somethins special.
> >

> Yes, they can be opened at the same time, but it will be useful to configure SQL*Net on each of them to work on different ports

Rubbish! You can access all your databases through a single port and this is the normal way to do it.
BTW, make sure you have enough shared memory (shmmax) and semaphores for the databases. One semaphore is required for each process as specified in init.ora (processes=50 means 50 semaphores are required for that database)

Regards,
Andrew. Received on Thu Feb 11 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message