Re: How to connect via TCP/IP to Personal Oracle?

From: <black_orpheus_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1999/02/10

In article <918478416.21877.0.nnrp-02.c1ede19d_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Karl R" <kroyle_at_hotmail.-REMOVE-com> wrote:
> > Could someone explain what and how to setup Personal Oracle so I can
 use
> >SQL Plus 8 to connect to it via TCP/IP. I have it installed on Windows NT
> >Server.
>
> As far as I know, you can't. Single instance, same box are the restrictions
> placed on PO.

Actually you can. Personal Oracle has much of the same capability of the full blown product. The only difference is there are nice GUI tools to do almost everything. The key word here is ALMOST. Personal Oracle actually comes with its own listener. You can configure your own LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES files on the machine just like on a server. But you have to start it from the command line. You run the executable LSNRCTLXX where XX is the version on listener you are running (just look in ORAWIN95\BIN for the exact name). If you have your files configured correctly you should be able to start your listener by running "LSNRCTL START". I have simlified it a little bit but if you apply the same principals as the server you should be able to figure it out.

HERE'S THE CATCH!! You can have as many local (same box) connections as you want but you can only have one connection through SQL*NET at a time (this is to prevent people from using it as a "real" server.

If you are interested I can give you all the details on how to get it up and running.

-b