Oracle 8, HP Surestore and HP OmniStorage

From: <alftan_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1999/02/08

Hello,

I am trying to archive data from an Oracle 8 database onto WORM disks. With the amount of data coming in; approximately 5 GB every one or two weeks; it will be practical to use a jukebox too.

I have done some checking on the HP Surestore products as well as the HP OmniStorage HSM. (The system is a HP unix box with HP-UX 10.X). Has anyone used this combination before with Oracle?

The data access should be transparent to the user; whether it is on the hard disks or the WORM disks. Is this possible on Oracle? I read in the Oracle manual that by changing the tablespace to read-only it is possible to move the database on to RO disks. However this is not meant for archiving purposes (which is what I am trying to do.)

Will Omnistorage allow Oracle to access the tables/disks in this manner? I am also wondering what will happen if the disk containing the queried data is not available on the jukebox.

Besides, other OmniStorage, are there any other software that provides the 'glue' between Oracle and the jukebox?

I appreciate any help with this.

Thank you.