Re: Starting Oracle

From: Paul Rahe <prahe_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 18:15:25 GMT

Mel Christie wrote:

> OK I'm a newbie.... How do you start up Oracle 7 on a Windows NT.
> I ran the Instance Manager but cannot find anywhere to start the ORCL
> service... I also don't know what the password is supposed to be as I just
> installed this...
>
> Please help before I switch to SQL Server!
>
> Mel

Hi,

Oracle 7 on NT has two different types of instance managers. One of them is the NT instance manager and the other one is called the Oracle instance manager. The NT instance manager is used to initially setup the instance, change the internal password, etc. The Oracle instance manager is what you'll use to startup and shutdown the database. Start the Oracle instance manager, access the database as internal and you should be able to start the instance and mount the database.

If you're talking about personal oracle 7 on NT, things are a little different. Personal Oracle 7 on NT doesn't have an NT instance manager or an Oracle Instance manager.

You could always use server manager (SVRMGR23) to start the instance and mount the database. Just type SVRMGR23 on an command line, access the database as internal and issue the startup command.

-Paul Received on Sun Feb 07 1999 - 19:15:25 CET

Original text of this message