Re: Front end for Oracle

From: Ray Porter <lrp_at_email.ais.unc.edu>
Date: 1999/02/01

I certainly wouldn't advise using Access in this manner. You will be much better off to use a real development tool (Delphi, or even VB) to take greater control of the process. You will probably also be better off a voiding data-aware controls (though the ones in Delphi do seem to work more reliably than those in VB).

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:02:07 +0100, "Alex" <alexlara_at_euskalnet.net> wrote:

>Hi from Spain !!
>
>Well, I'm working in a company that currently is deploying a system to =
>control the medical information of 2.5 million of people.
>Obviously, the main database is in an Oracle system, but the front end =
>is being programed in Access using bound controls and a little of VBA =
>code.
>
>Now we have no problem with Access using ODBC to Oracle and the project =
>still goes on. The problem is that now there are only 20 clients =
>accessing the database. In the future, there will be nearly 300 =
>clients....
>
>I think that we'll be having problems in the near future because the =
>network traffic generated by an Access client is huge... I don't want to =
>think what is going to happen when the 300 clients are running...=20
>Other problems are that we are not putting any effort in controlling the =
>concurrent access to records or transactions (we are leaving it to =
>Access).... What would happen when all clients are on the road??
>
>Do you think that the solution of using Access as a front end to Oracle =
>is correct??
>Do you see any other problems???
>
>Thanks in advance for your advice... and please if you don't mind, could =
>you answer me to alexlara_at_euskaltel.net ??? (anyway, I usually come back =
>to this group)

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH Phone: 966-5878
email: ray_porter_at_unc.edu

       dragon_at_email.unc.edu
Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." Received on Mon Feb 01 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message