Re: Designer 2000 slow as a dog ?!?

From: <dperez_at_juno_nospam.com>
Date: 1999/02/01

Well, in desperation to get Designer to run at something approaching a reasonable speed, I did some things.......

  1. Changed several settings from the manual specifications. I'm now giving it 21MB of shared memory and 2000 db_block_buffers. My rollback segments are in a 70 MB tablespace.......... Little if any change - if it improved ANYTHING it wasn't perceptible...
  2. I figured as a desperation move I've export the database with compress and REBUILD THE WHOLE DAMN THING FROM SCRATCH...........
So I did. Got all the tablespace info from the database and created the thing with all the sizes as large as they currently are - which means for example, the rollback tablespace is 70MB instead of the 4 it started out as!

Imported the whole thing back in so EVERY TABLESPACE WOULD BE IN 1 EXTENT. Then let it churn for about 6 hours while it REBUILT every damn thing that was invalid. AND then did an analysis for statistics on 100% of everything - from the RAU...

It comes up, I can get at the applications, but it doesn't appear to be markedly faster. I reverse engineered the demo database from the ORCL database - all 10 tables......... STILL TOOK A TON OF TIME - but maybe a few minutes less the previously............

So, I'm not sure what else to do, but it doesn't appear that normal stuff is going to improve this performance misery much...... And frankly, I find it appalling that for a single user on a single-standalone box I have to give this stinking thing 18 MB of memory and still get this kind of performance..... Received on Mon Feb 01 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message