Re: Front end for Oracle

From: Kostyantyn Chromyak <chromyak_at_usa.net>
Date: 1999/01/31

   Hello.

Sorry, you can't run your system quickly if follow use the bound controls. This way Access tries to replicate it's shared files model's functionality working with server data, and need to work with large data amounts just as does with it's local data file. You need the *true* client-server system. If you prefer to use Access for this purpose, it is not the best way, but it is possible. You need to *rewrite* part of your application that works with remote data. The idea is to use unbound controls and work with data programmatically, using SQL queries.

    If you need to outsource this job, let me know.

The best solutions in programming, physics, electronics and automatic control.

To reply delete ".NOSPAM" from reply address. I don't read (filter!) letters from well-known spammers. I don't read(filter) anything _at_yahoo.com

e-mail: <chromyak_at_usa.net.NOSPAM>

ICQ 13497907, tel. (54-11) 4811-7913
(ukranian, spanish, english, russian)
Kostyantyn Chromyak

Alex escribió en mensaje <792g7e$lhm1_at_eui1nw.euskaltel.es>... Hi from Spain !!

Well, I'm working in a company that currently is deploying a system to control the medical information of 2.5 million of people. Obviously, the main database is in an Oracle system, but the front end is being programed in Access using bound controls and a little of VBA code.

Now we have no problem with Access using ODBC to Oracle and the project still goes on. The problem is that now there are only 20 clients accessing the database. In the future, there will be nearly 300 clients....

I think that we'll be having problems in the near future because the network traffic generated by an Access client is huge... I don't want to think what is going to happen when the 300 clients are running... Other problems are that we are not putting any effort in controlling the concurrent access to records or transactions (we are leaving it to Access).... What would happen when all clients are on the road??

Do you think that the solution of using Access as a front end to Oracle is correct??
Do you see any other problems???

Thanks in advance for your advice... and please if you don't mind, could you answer me to alexlara_at_euskaltel.net ??? (anyway, I usually come back to this group) Received on Sun Jan 31 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message