Re: Oracle on Linux question

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.hex.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 05:52:55 GMT

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998 11:48:48 +0100, Juan Riera <juanriera_at_mx3.redestb.es> wrote:
>I have been told that Linux edition is a beta nonstable and that will not
>manage files over 2 GB - is it true?

You have been told untruths.

  1. It is not clear on what specific basis Oracle is licensing sales of Linux versions of Oracle; I suggest you contact them for actual facts concerning the status of releases.
  2. Linux does not at present handle files larger than 2GB. This is an issue that Oracle and other DB vendors have had to cope with for many years now.

If you have databases that require more than 2GB of space, you will need to allocate multiple database files to the tablespace in question. Just as you have had to do with many commercial UNIX releases.

--
"Even in the area of anticompetitive conduct, Microsoft is mainly an
imitator." -- Ralph Nader (1998/11/11)