Re: Databases

From: Doug Hutcheson <hutchsys_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: 1999/01/28

Louis,
I would rank Access, FoxPro. aradox and dBase at a similar level in terms of target market (the low-hanging fruit), with Oracle and MS SQL a large step up.
The choices for me would be between Access, SQL and Oracle. Access is a no-brainer, as it uses a widely-known dialect of Visual Basic, hence support in the programmer sense wpould be better. MS SQL is a robust enterprise level database and has similar advantages coming from the MS stable.
For really large databases, the choice would lie between SQL and Oracle. I use Access for many commercial applications, but these invariably have a limited user group and relatively low transaction volume, compared with the capacity of SQL and Oracle.
If you have a mission critical, heavy duty database application, look hard at SQL and Oracle and choose the one which runs best on your hardware and offers the best features for your application. Cheers,
Doug