Re: Developing an Oracle App - Does the Server OS matter

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1999/01/27

Mike,

If budget allows, I would keep the production server and test server exactly the same. For the following reasons: 1. The test machine could be used as a fail over server if your production server goes down. 2. You could validate your back-up strategy. 3. You can do OS and/or Oracle upgrades to the test system to see if you run into any problems before you implement it on a production level. 4. you could use the test machine for spare parts (memory, hard drive, etc.)untill you can get replacement parts for your production machine. 5. You could use your test machine for all types of bench marks.

Really, there are so many reasons to have the exact Hardware. Another point to make is that there are differences between NT on DecAlpha and NT on Intel. Most applications don't run on DecAlpha, and who knows if Oracle will continue supporting thier database on it.

Regards,
Satar
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions