Re: public synonyms

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/01/25

A copy of this was sent to Mindaugas Vieraitis <mindaugas_at_nomagiclt.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:10:58 +0000, you wrote:

>I've created the public synonym on (let's say) AAA table. This synonym
>has the same name as and the table. Then I connected as the different
>user and tried to retrieve inofrmation from AAA table:
>select * from aaa;
>
>But I've got the message: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist.

that typically happens when the table to which the synonym points to has not had the appropriate GRANTS run on it (eg: the other user doesn't have the ability to select from the object the synonym points to)

>I know that the public is the schema, which can by accessed by every
>user in the database.
>So, why I cannot access this table AAA?
>Thank you.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.