Solaris Kernels params for Oracle

From: Erin A. O'Neill <eon_at_crl.crl.com>
Date: 19 Jan 1999 00:27:54 GMT

Ok I figure I'd respond to my own post since I found out the info. This is for a solaris installation.

This is what was recommended by oracle:
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1

      set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
      set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
      set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
      set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70

This is the one that's the tricky one
     set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608

THe documentation said this was the size of your SGA. I was warned that the shmmax * the shmseg should NOT be more than your RAM & if you want your OS to have some RAM it's a good idea that this number not be greater than 2/3 your RAM. This shmmax equals 8 MB and this is the recommended size for a 128 MB box (which they only recommend for a dev box & not a production one).

This number can & should be fine tuned for your particular application.

erin

--
		--- erin -- eon_at_crl.com ---
			   ---