Re: Drop Tablepace

From: Pat Minnis <pminnis_at_maverick.net>
Date: 1999/01/08

I just posted a message in response and realized my answer was ludicrous. I canceled it, but in the event the cancel didn't take, I thought I better follow-up.

I believe when you drop a tablespace all the objects in that tablespace get dropped and ... well, I guess that would happen in the datafiles too wouldn't it :-)

At any rate (feeling guilty) I looked up Oracle's doc on it and found:

Warning: Once a tablespace has been dropped, the tablespace's data is not recoverable. Therefore, make sure that all data contained in a tablespace to be dropped will not be required in the future. Also, immediately before and after dropping a tablespace from a database, back up the database completely. This is strongly recommended so that you can recover the database if you mistakenly drop a tablespace, or if the database experiences a problem in the future after the tablespace has been dropped.