Re: Copy Oracle 7.2.2.4.0 Instance from one NT Server to another

From: Eugene Gardner <Gene_at_VaxMan.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 1999/01/07

I assume the databases will have the same name on a different node. Remember to change tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files appropriately. Check that the character set on the destination is >= the source. Run CATPROC etc before the IMPort.
Are you at the latest service pack ?
Remember to drop the old rollbacks after the IMP if they get created. You may need to change file specs in INIT.ORA (archive, dump_dest)

Eugene.

"Martin Schultz" <martin.schultz_at_virgin.net> wrote:

> I want to copy an Oracle 7.2.2.4.0 Instance from an NT 3.5.1 Server to an NT
> 4 Server.
>
> The method I propose using is as follows :-
>
> (a) Create an instance on the target server using the source initorcl.ora
> parameter file.
>
> (b) Create tablespaces with the correct names and dimensions, and
> rollback segments on the target instance - this is necessary because the
> target server has a different hardware configuration.
>
> (c) Take a full export of the source instance using "exp72 file=FULL.DMP
> log=FULL.LOG FULL=Y"
>
> (d) Import FULL.DMP into the target instance using "imp72 file=FULL.DMP
> log=FULL.LOG1 FULL=Y IGNORE=Y"
>
> (e) Run Catalog.sql and CatProc.sql.
>
> Please could someone confirm this is the correct procedure OR correct me as
> this is rather a long drawn out process to get wrong !
>
> Many thanks.
>
> --
> Martin Schultz
> MSTech Limited
> e-mail: martin.schultz_at_virgin.net

Eugene Gardner.
Oracle Certified dba available for hire on NT or VMS platforms. Received on Thu Jan 07 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message