Re: How to measure level of database disorganization/fragmentation?

From: Antun Domitrovic <antun.domitrovic_at_zg.tel.hr>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:22:47 +0100

Dana Smith wrote in message ...
>First question?
>
>We periodically run into severe performance problems due to needing to
>rebuild a specific index (a lot of inserts have caused a query/insert do
>perform slowly via the index.)
>
>How can we measure level of index disorganization so we can determine when
>and what level to launch an index rebuild?
>
>Second question:
>
>When running an export/import on a table, we run into situations where we
>can export but not import due to a need for contiguous space which is not
>available, even though the overall space IS available.
>
>My question is: How can we determine the level of fragmentation in a
>tablespace so we are able to determine when a full tablespace import/export
>is needed?
>
>Thanks for the help and direction.
>

>Mr. Dana Smith

Hi Dana

Probably you use COMPRESS EXTENTS option while exporting data. Data exported with this option set to Y are imported in one large initial extent.

The level of fragmentation can be determined querying the view DBA_FREE_SPACE. Antun Received on Tue Jan 05 1999 - 14:22:47 CET

Original text of this message