Re: How to get the SID name ?

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 05:32:08 GMT

In article <3691735F.AB1B2BCD_at_bellatlantic.net>, Steve Sherman <sherman9_at_bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>In SQLPLUS, you can enter select * from global_name (or global_names, I can
>never remember if there is an "s" at the end).
>
>- steve
>
>Guy Quesnel wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> In SQLPLUS, you can enter the following select statement;
>> "select name from sys.v$database;"
>> note that the v$database view belongs to the sys schema, and you may need
>> some dba privileges to view it.

Both of these fail - they return the database name, not the instance name (try it with parallel server if in doubt). It does work in exclusive Oracle if you name the instance and the database the same... A common practice.

-OraSaurus Received on Tue Jan 05 1999 - 06:32:08 CET

Original text of this message