Re: ORA-03113: End-of-File on communication channel

From: Dave Fischer <davefischer_at_home.com>
Date: 1999/01/04

Thomas:

There are lots of reasons for the 3113 errors. Check the metalink web site for a bulletin on
dealing with the ORA-03113 error.

Try running the query using sqlplus on the server and see if the problem reccurs.

I have run across the same problem that you describe within sqlplus running Oracle8.0.4.2.1 on HP-UX.
Check your core/user dump destination areas for any trace files and core dumps.
Call Oracle Support and they will arrange to have you ftp the files to their ftp server.

I have observed that the 3113 error can happen on queries that are structured in a particular way that
highlights an Oracle bug of some sort. This error seems to pop up on queries from large tables
If you were to restructure the query (in some cases) the error can be eliminated. (e.g. replace join with correlated sub query, or vice versa).

Make sure you also provide your server parameters:

SVRMGRL>  spool params.out
SVRMGRL>  show parameters
SVRMGRL>  exit;

I would also try, for each table in the from clause: analyze table <table_name in query> delete statistics; and then re-execute the query.

-dave fischer / Oracle Certified DBA
davefischer_at_home.com