Oracle Performance

From: Kenneth <h9412509_at_hkusua.hku.hk>
Date: 1998/12/29

I am new to Oracle. I am suprise why perfermance is so bad?
My company have an application getting a livefeed on 9600 modem, and write the data in oracle by ODBC.

The configuration of hardware and software is: Oracle 7.3.3.3. Workgroup Server:
run on PII 350, AMI RAID5 Controller, IBM SCSI-II harddisks, 256M RAM, NT Server 4.0.

LiveFeed Machine:
run PII 350, 128M RAM, IDE harddisk, VB6 ODBC program.

There are around 4 or 5 tables to be updated in the server, and their rows size are less than 2000 and some 30 fields.

The SQL of VB is a simple update based on on primary key. There are about 500 updates per mintues.

I wonder why the cpu usage of oracle is always 80-90%. And it didnot drop even when there is no data from the feed.

What exactly Oracle is doing???   Received on Tue Dec 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message