[q] german special character and OLE for Oracle

From: Peter Archutowski <peter-a_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:31:24 GMT

Hi all,

I am developing a database application with ASP, OLE for Oracle and Oracle7.3 in german language. The problem is that the german special characters are not translated correctly.

It is quite strange because the special characters are mapped to standard
ASCII characters so I cannot apply a filter to the result string.

For instance the '&auml;' ist converted to 'd'; '&uuml' to '|'; '&Ouml;' to 'V'.

The problem is not asp specific because I get the same strange character results
when using the Oracle SQL Plus Tool. It also occures using the oracle8 trial version.
The NLS_LANGUAGE is set to GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1.

Also, the numbers I retreave per SQL (Oracle SQL Plus Tool) are displayed in a different way. On the clients configuration the numbers are returned like '123.12'. For testing purpose I have installed Oracle 8 trial release. There I got the numbers returned
like '123,12'. The '123.12' format is not recognised correctly by ASP.

It formats the number to '12312'. While this can be influenced by the Operating system settings,
it surprises me that the results in the Oracle SQL Plus Tool are different.
(The data are the same)

clients configuration:

  • Oracle 7.3 running on HP 9000/Unix
  • OLE for Oracle 2.0.0.7.2.0 (Win NT)
  • OCI 7.3.2.1.0 (Win NT)
  • SQL Net 2.3.2.1.4 (Win NT)
  • Supportfiles 7.3.2.2.0 C (Win NT)
  • SQL Net Client 7.3.2.1.4 (Win NT)
  • MS IIS 4.0
Has anybody experienced this before. Is there a language parameter in the database that
I didn't think of?

If you have any suggestions please mail to:

joachim_at_wemove.com

Thanx in advance.

  • joachim mueller