Re: Disk Array v/s Hard Disk

From: P.S. <ps_at_netvigator.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 16:12:29 +0800

Disk array running RAID5 is fault tolerant and you'll automatically enjoy the performance gain of multiple disks. However, you have to spend some disk space for the fault tolerance.

Disk array is expensive and future upgrade will cost more.

For a critical databse, RAID5 is encouraged.

Setting up multiple disk with several data files may give you some parallel access performance with multiple disks. However, you have to partition your database in order to enjoy the performance gain. But future upgrade is easy.