Oracle 8 LOBs with a Windows Client - Advice Wanted

From: Chris Highfield <chris.highfield_at_virgin.net>
Date: 1998/11/08

I am researching into storing images in an Oracle 8 database using BFILES and retrieving them for display in Windows 95 client applications. The client applications will be written in either MS Visual Basic or MS Visual C++ depending on the project.

I am currently working on building a DLL to retrieve them using the Oracle Objects for OLE C++ Classes and the DBMS_LOB package. I am also thinking about looking into using the Oracle Call Interface I'm begining to think that my first approach is a bit ungainly and inefficient.

If anyone has had experience (good or bad!) with using LOBs (external & internal) and accessing them from Windows applications I would be grateful for some tips, pointers, warnings etc.

Many thanks,

Chris Highfield
( chris.highfield_at_virgin.net / chris_highfield_at_hotmail.com ) Received on Sun Nov 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message