Re: Student asks about Tuples and Relations (SQL Problem)

From: Richard Freedman <rfreedm_at_voicenet.com>
Date: 1998/10/29

Generally speaking, no. While some database managers may provide this feature, none of the databases that I work with do, and there are certainly no standards in this area.

I have always explicitly stored the date and time of row creation as a column in the table when the design dictated the need for this information.

Alex Snoeren wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For a project on my university I'am investigating the possiblity of the
> following:
> "Is it possible to retrieve the date of when a certain tuple(record) was
> created ?
> Is this being saved somewhere in the RDBMS ?"
> How can I get this date using SQL?
>
> Please send your answer to: snoeren_at_casema.net
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Alex.

Richard Freedman
Sr. Software Engineer