Re: Oracle for Linux problem

From: Arnold Schommer <aschommer_at_fs-edv.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:39:35 GMT

"Franco" <franco_at_infocomm.com.tw> wrote:

>Dear Sir :

> I installed Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux on my SlackWare 3.5 (kernel 2.0.34)
>but something troubles ... as the following :

> 1. no 'root.sh' file.
> 2. I have created 'dba' group and 'oracle' user and have set
> ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_TERM, PATH parameters for installing
> but when I start the 'orainst' then the error message show :
> './orainst: ./orainst.cm : No such file or directory'

> I confirmed that I have changed to the /CDROM/orainst directory
> and I have checked the file 'orainst.cm' exist.....
> what's matter ??

If this should be executable, you might have mounted the the cd without execute (or was execut_able_ ?) option. See man fstab. (I'm not sitting at linux right now). The point is that in order to execute a file not only the file itself has to be executable but also the volume it is in has to be mounted with this option. Many distributions don't set it by default.

> I have installed many oracle server on other system :
>Oracle for AIX, Oracle for HP-UX, Oracle for Sparc, Oracle for NT
>even installed the Oracle for SCO on my Slackware Linux 3.4/3.5 .
>No problem happened ....

> Is the downloaded file Error ? I downloaded the file '805ship.tgz'
>from ftp.oracle.com, the file size is 145043360 bytes , and I
>'gzip -d 805ship.tgz' then 'tar xpvf 805ship.tar' , no errors happened.

> I don't know why ?? Anything I forgot ?? Can someone tell me ??

> Thanks a lots !!

>-Franco-

Arnold Schommer Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 15:39:35 CET

Original text of this message