Re: Oracle 8 / Winsock2 Woes

From: Dave Oakleaf <doakleaf-spam-no-thanks_at_mcs.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 02:19:20 GMT

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:07:51 -0500, "Jody L." <indulger_at_rocketmail.com> wrote:

>Forgive my terminology, I'm a little green at this.
>
>My question:
>Is there an Oracle 8 client available (new) that is compatible with
>Winsock2? We're using net80 from a custom VB5 app against an Oracle db.
>I've got 8.0.4 and it is incompatible with Winsock2 as far as I can tell.
>What can I do to ensure compatibility between my application/Oracle
>connection and winsock2?

I think Oracle8 releases 8.0.4.x and earlier are not compatible with winsock2 on Win 95/98. Oracle 8.0.5 is supposed to be compatible, though.

This little glitch killed our app completely on win98 where we couldn't seem to uninstall winsock2. According to oracle, our options were

  1. roll back to Oracle 7.3.4
  2. Use spx
  3. Don't use Win98

You may want to check and see if 8.0.5 is available by now.

good luck,

Dave Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 04:19:20 CEST

Original text of this message