Switching Oracle Homes

From: Rytis Grybauskas <rytis_at_fellspt.charm.net>
Date: 8 Oct 1998 12:19:51 -0400

I want to install Personal Oracle 7 on a PC that is already running some Oracle products off of a Network server.

Is there some way to easily switch Oracle Homes? When I run the Installer it tells me that I have to be an administrative user in order to switch homes. If I designate a new home anyway, it correctly registers the old application in the Win95 registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ ORACLE\ORACLE_HOMES as ORACLE1, and the new one as ORACLE2. When I re-run the installer, and designate the old location, the original home is restored.

Is there some easy, seamless way to do this?

Is there a command line option to the installer that can be run that would not give all of the warning messages (much the same way SMS isntallations use /silent and /rspsrc?)?

Does anyone know of any documentation that explains fully all of the command line options of the installer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I searched the Oracle Knowledge Base, but with 2,000 hits, it's tedious going through all the documents. I was hoping to tap into someone who has already experienced this problem. And yes, I have a call in to Oracle tech support, waiting for a call back... and waiting...

Thanks

Rytis Grybauskas
rytis.grybauskas_at_osha-no.osha.gov