Problem with a simple SQL query!

From: The Phantom <tmaguire_at_nospam.tinet.ie>
Date: 1998/09/30

Hi

Could any please help me with this SQL statement. It seems OK but it returns the following error:

order by sedol
*
ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended

Here is the statement:

insert into t_sedol (sedol)
select sedol from t_master_download
where rownum<=246
and country='United Kingdom'
and downloaddate='01-DEC-92'
order by market_cap desc;

So basically I want to insert the 'sedol' value(s) into the table 't_sedol'. The 'sedol' value(s) is a SELECT query that chooses its data from the table 't_master_download'. When I remove the ORDER part of the statement it runs fine but the ORDER is essential. Can anyone help on this one?

Regards

Terry Maguire
IIU
IFSC House
Custom House Quay
Dublin 1
Ireland
e:Mail - tmaguire_at_nospam.gandon.ie
---Remove the nospam to e:Mail Received on Wed Sep 30 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message