Re: sql vs oracle

From: Yuri Budilov <yuri.budilov_at_computershare.com.au>
Date: 1998/09/18

re: upcoming project

when is it going live?

generally speaking 20K transactions per day is low anyway if spred evenly over 24 hours. Will the lion's share be processed in a particular time window? eg 80% in 3 hours or similar? you need to find out the maximum transaction per minute/per hour rate to determine suitablity, although i suspect you are OK with SQL6.5

7Gb is also OK for SQL6.5 with todays hardware. up to 200 users on SQL6.5 is easily done today.

If you are starting to develop now to deploy in a few months time (eg Jan 1999 and onwards) then forget SQL6.5 altogether - start with MS SQL Server 7.0 beta-3. SQL7.0 is the way to go. It will support far more users, far bigger databases with far better performance and far better uptime. If you dont believe me then see the TPC-C results for SQL7.0 for yourself.

--
Yuri Budilov
Melbourne, Australia

<6trqba$n44$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...