Re: Sybase V/S Oracle

From: <corral_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/08/28

Debating about quality of vendor support, in article  <35DBA9D3.733BAC34_at_telegate.co.il>,
  Avi Abrami <avia_at_telegate.co.il> wrote:
> Yves Parent wrote:

 [...]
> > Personally, I've worked with Sybase and have had good (not great) support.
 [...]
> Yes, but only if you are in the U.S. or Canada. Guess the rest of the
> world is unimportant.
>
> Avi.

> /\ \ /| Avi Abrami, Analyst/Programmer, Telegate Ltd.
> /__\ \ / | 7 Haplada Street, Or-Yehuda, ISRAEL
> / \ \/ | Phone:+972-3-5388717 Fax:+972-3-5335877 eMail:avia_at_telegate.co.il

I can say that I have received very good support from Sybase in Spain. True that I work for one of their best clients there.

I don't know whether Sybase has a worlwide policy to guarantee a similar degree of quality on tech support. So, I cannot tell whether my experience has any value outside Spain.

One thing I can say: Homogeneus service is only achievable by large support teams (in large state or country vendor offices). In a medium-sized office like Spain, the ability of the support team to service you depends greatly on the level of activity they are currently dealing with. If your request comes soon after another big and urgent request from other client, you will probably find that support personnel cannot devote much time to you.

Sorry, Ash, for diverting the discussion from its original subject,

        Mariano Corral