Re: Help! - OCP DBA - Books/Training Classes, etc...

From: Diebold <bergerb_at_diebolddotcom>
Date: 1998/08/27

Jay,

I recently got my Oracle certification, and the Oracle certification given by the Chauncey group. The book you mention was not out yet, so here is how I went about it.

I took the four classes (Intro to SQL, DBA, Backup and Recovery, Performance Tuning) given by Oracle (I am lucky, my boss believes in spending money for training). Then, I got the practice tests from self-test software. I went through each test until I could answer all questions correctly every time. At this point, then I would go to Sylvan and take the tests. I passed every test the first time, never missing more than 5 out of 60 questions. The self-test software tests were very close to the actual tests, a few questions were even word for word.

After I had taken all the Oracle tests, I decided I might as well take the Chauncey test. I got the practice test for this from DOC Software, and again took the practices until I could answer all questions. I passed this on my first try, but Chauncey does not give you any score or indication of how well you did, other than PASS. I have to say, this test is MUCH harder than the Oracle tests, and I think it is probably a closer to real-life of what a DBA should know. For every Oracle test, I felt confident when I got to the end that I passed. With the Chauncey test, I was really sweating. Could hardly hold the mouse still enough to click the end button! Glad I passed the first time, I would hate to have to take that one again.

HTH,

--
Brett A. Berger -
Oracle Certified Database Administrator