Re: MS SQL Server Scalability

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 18:36:37 GMT

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 07:37:33 +0100, Simon Fletcher <simon_d_fletcher_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm in the process of choosing a RDBMS to implement a data warehouse in the
>20-40GB range. My options are Oracle and MS SQL Server, the two databases
>currently in use by my client.
>
>Anecdotal evidence suggests that SQL Server struggles with large databases
>(15GB+), but I've never found anyone who's actually built one and failed or
>had problems, instead everyone "knows someone" or has heard the rumours and
>never tried.
>
>So my question is, has anyone tried and do you have any "war stories"

I am heavily biased towards Oracle, but terraserver.microsoft.com is impressive nonetheless.

comp.databases.oracle has been superceded by comp.databases.oracle.misc.

>Simon Fletcher
>simon_fletcher_at_hotmail.com

jg

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or
Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry_at_nospameiq.com